We are aspiring philosophers!
At Southville Primary school, we aspire to be philosophers. Our philosophy curriculum will encourage our children to examine the world through their own perspective as well as others. We will teach the children to respect other ideas, whilst giving them the tools to challenge assumptions. We will give our children the platform to talk about what is meaningful and important to them. We will foster their natural curiosity about the world, encouraging children to develop their reasoning and deep thinking.
We will do this by:
- Embedding philosophy into our wider school curriculum, to ensure children are reasoning and problem solving within all subjects
- Making sure that our classrooms and wider school, is a safe place for children to share their understanding and ideas
- Delivering weekly assemblies where we ask the children a philosophical question, giving them the week to discuss and review the following week
- Giving the children time to reflect on philosophical questions and understand how various views would answer them
- Shaping our questions and discussions to meet the potential of all children, regardless of ethnic origin, gender, class, or disability