We are aspiring musicians!
At Southville Primary school, we aspire to be musicians. Our music curriculum will develop our children’s understanding and enjoyment of music, and help them find their musical voice. We will enable them to respond critically to the music they hear and to explore different ways of making music themselves. We will help them build the foundations for a lifelong appreciation of, and participation in, the joy and power of making music.
We will do this by:
- Singing regularly with our children.
- Teaching them to play a variety of instruments, including glockenspiel, ukulele, recorder and a windband instrument.
- Developing their skills in composing their own music and collaborating with others creatively.
- Introducing them to musical notation and technical vocabulary as part of their musical toolkit.
- Building their confidence and skills in performing to others, through a number of events such as winter productions, choir performances, recitals and end of year shows.
- Providing opportunities to listen to, review and evaluate music across a range of historical periods, genres, styles and traditions.
- Experiencing performances by a broad range of musicians, including local artists and the children's own peers, as well as the works of great composers and musicians.