We are aspiring geographers!
At Southville Primary School, we aspire to be geographers. Our geography curriculum will inspire a curiosity and fascination about the world we live in and the people who inhabit it. We will equip the children with knowledge about diverse places, people, resources and natural and human environments, formation and use of landscapes. The topic of environmental sustainability will play a significant part in our geography curriculum, ensuring children are well informed and equipped for dealing with their future environment and the impact they can have.
We will do this by:
- Making sure that geography objectives are delivered in the context of an appropriate topic within our Immersive Learning curriculum wherever possible
- Ensuring the children learn to use resources such as maps, globes, atlases, aerial photos and digital maps in a planned and progressive way within and across the years
- Contextualising the identifying and naming of countries, continents and oceans so that the children understand how the world is pieced together
- Revisiting key areas of the geography curriculum throughout the children’s time with us to aid their memory, knowledge and understanding of the world in which they live
- Utilising the opportunities that our local area and the vibrant city of Bristol offer in order to develop in the children an understanding and appreciation of the culture and diversity of this great city
- Providing our children with relevant educational visits that enhance the learning that happens in school.