At our school, we work to provide a curriculum that is both challenging and engaging, encouraging children to be excited about and engaged with their learning whilst also making excellent progress to achieve well in all subjects.
The following principles underpin teaching and learning at our school:
- Provides challenge at all levels
- Is accessible to all children
- Is part of a progressive learning journey
- Promotes a sense of 'Wow!'
- Shows a clear progression within and across year groups
- Prepares children for being responsible local and global citizens
- Teaches children about their rights and responsibilities
- Promotes a sense of wellbeing and teaches children to recognise, name and communicate their feelings
- Gives children the chance to develop informed opinions and communicate them to others
- Develops creativity both in practice and in thought
Over the past few months, our amazing teachers have been designing a new curriculum in key stages 1 and 2, which we launched with the children in term 5 of last academic year. Under this new curriculum, the children will learn many subjects under one umbrella; we call this ‘Immersive Learning’ as the children are fully immersed in a particular topic or theme for a term and become experts in that area of the curriculum. Our immersive curriculum combines writing, history, geography, art, design & technology and science, plus other subjects such as mathematics and physical education where it makes sense. There are so many benefits to organising our curriculum in this way, including: giving children plenty of knowledge to use when writing; building specialist vocabulary into daily lessons; ensuring all subjects (not just reading, writing and maths) are given the same value and status; and making links between subjects and our daily lives.
Our Immersive Learning Curriculum
Foundation Stage - Reception topic overview
Year 2's termly overview
Year 4's termly overview
Year 6's termly overview
Year 1's termly overview
Year 3's termly overview
Year 5's termly overview