Apply for free school meals
Pupil Premium is extra money paid direct to schools for each child who is eligible for free school meals. It is used to support your child's education, but is only paid where families have applied for free school meals and are confirmed to be entitled.
Even if your child is in reception, Year 1 or Year 2 and receives free school meals under the Universal Infant Free School Meals Scheme, you still need to make a free school meals application for the school to receive Pupil Premium for your child.
How to apply
Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit