We are aspiring inventors!
At Southville Primary, we aspire to be creative inventors. Our design and technology curriculum will prepare children to take an active part in the development of today’s rapidly changing world. We will inspire them to be inventive problem-solvers, effective team members and reflective evaluators. We will provide them with opportunities to develop practical skills for life and above all, develop their aspirations to become the designers, innovators, and technologists of the future.
We will do this by:
- identifying needs and opportunities so children can respond with their own ideas and designs
- reflecting on and evaluating present and past design and technology, its uses, and its impacts
- considering aesthetic, social, and environmental issues and their impact on product design
- developing their skills in working practically with a variety of tools and materials to design and make products for a wide range of users
- creating a range of structures, mechanisms, textiles, electrical systems, and food products with a real-life purpose
- critiquing, evaluating, and testing ideas and products created by themselves and others
- researching engineers, designers, architects, and chefs
- providing opportunities to communicate their ideas through discussion, diagrams, prototypes, pattern pieces and computer-aided design
- understanding the principles of nutrition and a healthy and varied diet
- building knowledge of where and how ingredients are grown, reared, caught and processed
- preparing and cooking a variety of dishes using different cooking techniques